Monday, September 30, 2013

Cats. Cats. Cats.

I have this soft spot when it comes to animals... Mainly cats... and since moving, I have noticed a few stray cats in the area. A few times they have sat outside of the window having staring contests with my own cat, Todd. They have also taken to use my car as some kind of shelter ever since I left the windows open overnight one evening. None of that bothers me really, I feel bad for them.

People think that cats can get by on their own... but that really isn't true. Stray cats that are in a small neighborhood are still domestic cats. Sure they have "instincts" but they can't get all the nutrition they need and if they don't get shots and vaccines, they will end up getting some disease and most likely infect your beloved outside cat.

So a couple days ago, this skinny little orange cat, probably the same age as my own cat, almost 6 months, was sitting outside my window. He was meowing at me and looked like he was hungry, or maybe wanted attention, so I got some of Todd's food and I put it down outside. That cat ran as fast as he could to get to it and scarfed it down. I petted him a little... but not too much because I noticed he had what looked like really bad dandruff and I didn't want to touch it. He was rather jumpy, but he seemed to like humans. My cat was watching him as well and he got a little too close and this orange cat bopped him on the head, didn't seem to quiet his curiosity though.

A few minutes later, another cat shows up. This one is a little bigger. He is darker in color and looks like he might have some bengal in him. There is still a little bit of food left that the orange cat is eating and when this other cat tries to eat some, The orange cat hits him as well.

I text my mom and tell her I fed a stray cat and another one showed up and she tells me she has leftover food from her cat. He can't eat it because it gives him urinary tract infections. I run over and get that food and I open the door to set it outside and the darker cat runs into my house. I get him out and put down the food, which I had put in two separate bowls so that they can both eat at the same time but the orange cat has left.

Another cat shows up. This one is mostly white but it has some dark splotches on it and it seems really scared of people. She eats too, like she is starving.

The orange cat shows up again and it runs to the food and the other cats get out of the way and watch it eat. I end up filling  both bowls again so that all the cats get fed.

They come back the next morning. I hear some scratching on my front door and when I open it I see the darker cat and the white cat. So, naturally, I fill the bowls with food and feed them.

I get home at about 9pm last night and all three cats are sitting outside my door so I fill up the bowls and set them outside. This time I add a bowl though so they can all eat at the same time. So the orange cat doesn't hog all the food. When I open the door to set the food outside, all the cats try to get into my warm house. I feel awful and for a moment I think "I could just keep them in my spare room..." Then I get some sense knocked into me. "NO. Kristyn, you are becoming a crazy cat lady and if you do that, you are opening your home up to fleas and who knows what else. You can't afford to keep all these cats. They will survive outside." I set the food down and go back inside.

The next morning I open my door to leave for work... 4 cats are sitting outside waiting to be fed. That's right, FOUR. Last night there were only 3... I AM ATTRACTING ALL THE CATS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

I am going to take them all to the shelter this weekend. Unless any of you lovelies want a cat. Let me know, and I will capture and deliver.



No comments:

Post a Comment