Monday, March 17, 2014

An Open Letter to Male Acquaintances

Please stop hitting on/complimenting me. 

It isn't appreciated, welcomed, or flattering. 

I don't need you to add "cutie" onto the end of a sentence when talking to me. I don't WANT you to. The only thing that does is make me want to ignore and/or block you forever. 

I'm not unaware of how I look. I see myself every single day. I don't need you to remind me that I'm pretty, cute, beautiful, adorable, gorgeous or any other adjective you think might make me feel good if you were to say it. 

In all honesty, your opinion of me does absolutely nothing. Your random compliments, which are more like rude interjections of your noticing my appearance, are not welcome in any conversation we may have. 

I don't need or want someone I don't really know to just blurt that out. Actually, I don't want anyone other than occasionally a boyfriend to blurt that out. That may be the only time it is remotely appropriate. 

Would it be cool or acceptable for me to just add random compliments in the middle of a conversation, or would it be inappropriate and weird? Would it make you feel good, or awkward? 

I, as well as many other women, have dealt with this my entire life. There is nothing more awkward than someone you don't have feelings for randomly interjecting compliments into every day conversation. 

"hey cutie" why is that acceptable? I'm sure most will read and think I'm severely overreacting, but it is extremely awkward when someone starts off a conversation like that (which is why I RARELY reply to anything of that nature). When I read it, or hear it, the first thing I want to do is vomit, then punch you in the face. 

Maybe you are expecting me to be smitten by you and your "smooth talking" but your "smooth talking" is the opposite of smooth. It's rough and bumpy and when randomly thrown into conversation, it's the equivalent to a sudden stop on the highway. I might be having a conversation I'm genuinely interested in and then all the sudden I'm told I'm hot and all I want to do is say, "OMG, you're right! I never noticed! I never really looked at myself before! I am so, so happy that you just randomly told me that because I might have never noticed!" all expressed sarcastically, of course. I want you to feel as stupid and awkward as you just made me feel. It's just not something anyone should have to deal with or put up with. It really has NO business in everyday conversation. 

Don't get me wrong, I love compliments, but there is a time and a way to say them and not come off as creepy and annoying. For instance, maybe I haven't seen you in awhile and you walk up to me and tell me I look nice. That is appreciated. But maybe we haven't spoken in awhile and we're texting/messaging and catching up and you say, "how's the weather, cutie?" or "How are you today, hottie?" or "So, do you go to college, beautiful?". Not appreciated. Ever. Actually, It's more like a one-way ticket to friendzoneville so good luck getting out of there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment